Sender:
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 21:23:11 -0500
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, NWLB (E-Ticket) wrote:

> Also according to the NCAA News, (August 3, 98, page 24) 17 schools have
> proposed an amendment to allow Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, BC, to
> become and NCAA Division 2 member.  The article notes that its a specific
> exception, not an attempt to lift the general prohibition against non-US
> schools joining.

This will probably not have much hockey relevance.

SFU has always been a part of the NAIA, having elected to go the US route
when the University opened in the mid-1960s. This makes SFU unique in
that it is the only Canadian school allowed to offer athletic
scholarships in a serious way.

They are looking to join the NC$$ because the other NAIA schools in their
area (Western Washington, Central Washington, Lewis & Clark, etc) have
already left and joined NC$$ Division II. I suspect it is the former
Columbia Football Association schools who are sponsoring of SFU's bid to
join the NCAA.

SFU has never, to my knowledge, iced a hockey team. I doubt that they
would any time in the near future.

John

--
John Edwards - Carleton (Ont) '96, Manitoba '00 - [log in to unmask]
    So you see ... it was farting that saved Canada. - Terence & Phillip