Sender:
From:
Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 16:25:38 -0500
While I don't have quite the same large reptoire of games that many others
seem to have, the most memorable college hockey game I ever witnessed was
the Syracuse Invitational tournament semifinal last season between Cornell
and Providence.  The game went into 3 OTs, but what made it memorable
happenned early in the first of those extra periods.  During a stoppage in
play the Providence goalie (Dan Dennis) skated slowly backward down the
slot and regurgitated his dinner upon the ice.  Play had to be stopped for
a while as the mess was cleaned up by the referees.  In a strange move,
Dennis returned to the ice after the stoppage, and proceeded to hold off
Cornell for two oT periods, before Cornell scored midway through the third
session on a knuckleshot by Dave Adler in what was his first goal as a
collegiate player. Not exactly great for the play on the ice, just for a
rather bizarre occurence.

My second most remembered college hockey moment is the sound of PC Drouin's
shot clanging off the crossbar in the ECAC regionals in Albany in 1996.
The shot would have tied the game with LSSU with 1 minute to go.  As it
was, the Red went home in a 5-4 defeat.  That sound will ever ring in my
ears.

I do wish I'd been there to see the 1-0 4OT game, though.  That sounds like
a barnburner.  I can't imagine anything could top that.

Larry Weintraub '98,
Cornell University
Let's Go BIG RED!!!!!

Quote of the Semester:
        "They wear their hearts on their sleeves here at Cornell...and also
their faces."

        -- TV Announcers at the Cornell-Colgate game,
           while the camera was in a close-up on my painted face.