Sender:
From:
Steven Bartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 13:16:28 EST
From a Michigan perspective..

Notre Dame out shot Michigan 8 -5 in the first 6 1/2 minutes of the game, but
no scoring. After that Michigan just dominated ND the rest of the first and
the whole second period.  It looked like it was going to be a 7/8/9 to 2 type
of game.  Michigan switched to Malicke in goal in the third and the defense
played sloppy in front of him and ND tied the score.  Michigan came on real
strong in OT and won it on a blast from Crozier (at least it was wasn't a
cheap goal). Muckalt had also blasted one about a minute earlier that
everybody though went in but didn't.  I must have hit the post but there was
no "ping music".  Crozier ended up with 3 goals.  He has 8 for the season and
scored 38% of his whole season tonight.

With this win, MIchigan ties some NCAA record for 10 one goal wins in a season
and we still have a lot left.  I think our record is no 10-3 in one goal
games.  Which makes for a very exciting season so far.

on another thread of how good Miami is...  after the last 2 weekends (5 points
out of 8 against Michigan and Michigan State) I want to say that they must be
one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the nation.  Then I look at their overall
record and see that they have only won 12 out of 21 games for a winning
percentage of only 57%.  To be a top team, you have to beat the secondary
teams also...sorry Miami.

Also on Miami, interesting to see that they had only 13 or 14 shots in a 3-1
victory over Michigan and only 14 shots against MSU for a tie (outshot 45-14
that game).  back in the early 90's LSSU seemed to play tight defense all game
long waiting for the other team to make a mistake which LSSU would capitalize
on.  I haven't seen MIami play but it sounds like they're doing the same
thing.

Steve Bartley