Sender:
From:
Nate Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 90 15:45:15 -0500
Striking fear into the hearts of men like Bill Fenwick, Pierre
Balenger has returned for a new year of officiating.

In Friday's exhibition between Brown and Western Ontario, Pierre lost
control of the game and his mind.

First of all, to those who are wondering if Brown has found a
replacement for graduated goalie Chris Harvey, the answer is no.  Some
guy named Finch played the first half of the game, and did okay, two
goals I think.  He was replaced halfway through by a guy named
Haygood, who gave up seven goals, most which Harvey could have stopped
with his eyes closed, which is maybe what Haygood was attempting.

In the third period, a Brown player got a minor.  He got in the
penalty box, and Pierre skated over and said a few things to him.  The
Brown player then must have uttered something WRONG, because Pierre
immediately ejected him.  That's one.

So while this is all being sorted out, the players are milling at
center ice, including the Brown player that must serve the minor
penalty.  Pierre gets impatient and, from the Ontario faceoff circle,
blows his whistle and motions for the Brown player to get in the box.
The player sort of flicks his arm up at Pierre and skates over and
into the box.  But Pierre, in a flash, is over at the box and WHAM,
ejects this player too!  That's two!

The student body goes crazy. The Brown bench goes crazy.  I go crazy.
("These fans may not know who you are, Pierre, but I went to Cornell!
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!!")  The arena is in an uproar.

Finally, play resumes.  In a few minutes, another Brown player gets a
minor for slashing.  He skates into the box and sits down.  Pierre
skates over and just starts yelling at the guy!  This was hauntingly
similar to Bill Fenwick's description of a Cornell game last year when
a Cornell player (Gauvin?) got thrown out after Pierre yelled at him
for several seconds.  Well, Pierre is railing on this player, and
looks as if he's DARING the player to utter something.  I saw the
player's lips move.  WHAM!!!  Strike three, another ejection!  This
time, the student body was expecting it and cheered.  The player got
out of the box and had some louder words for Pierre's face.

Oh, Brown was beaten 9-4 or 9-5 or something.

Maybe Pierre has something against the Ivy League?  I mean, it is
customary for a team to huddle around the goalie before each period
begins.  Was it really necessary for Pierre to blow his whistle three
times during Brown's huddle and yell at them to hurry up?

Nate