Sender:
From:
Russ Bone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 21:56:12 -0700
John R. Nash wrote:

> A few thoughts to add to those voiced so far on rivalries...
>
> It is very true that there will be more rivalries vs. "better" teams or
> schools that are perceived as "better" (even if not in a particular sport)
> than others.

While there is some truth to the "better" teams theory, you might have a
hard time convincing fans at DU and CC.  Good rivalry is, indeed, in the
eye of the beholder, but this one has everything (proximity, intensity,
longevity, crazy history and the added bonus of mattering immensely to
both teams regardless of the current league standings).  This battle has
spanned the spectrum from a fight to stay out of the cellar to a scrap
for the top slot (just last year, the Feb. series pitted #1 CC against
#5 ranked DU).  I won't go so far as to say this is the best rivalry,
but it stacks up well witht the rest and offers good evidence that some
of the most intense rivalries in the WCHA don't involve MN at all.