Sender:
From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 18:10:17 -0500
My report card of Hockey East teams.

The "A" class ... New Hampshire A, Boston Univ. A-

UNH - A
 After a ?shaky? start, UNH has responded in such a convincing manner
 that I can just about give them the coveted A. Now, the early season
 losses to Vermont and Colgate don't look all that bad. Ten straight
 victories over some good competition is truly commendable. The
 performance so far is greatly higher than I had expected. Some surprise
 strength in goal has helped as well as a successful offensive attack.
 Unrelentless looks like a good adjective for this squad. Although I haven't
 seen them yet, from what I can learn ... they're not going to be the
 "poor-finishers" I had envisioned. In fact, this squad seems to play like
 its 0-0 throughout the whole game. Their schedule stays equally tough
 over  the next 10 games. If they survive that stretch alright, they'll be
 strong  representatives for HockeyEast in the NCAA's.

B.U. - A minus
 Let's not be too dissapointed in B.U. This team suffered big losses and
 has still been able to remain one of the nation's top five teams. As UNH
 barely got an A from me, I could have given one to B.U. a lot easier had
 it not had such a dissappointing weekend. I realize that its always a
 tough trip up there against quality opponents, but this squad seems to be
 unable to get around real good goal-tending. The loss to St. Lawrence
 and tie to Merrimack seemed unfortunate. The Clarkson loss was much
 more and it appears a December rest will be much appreciated for this
 team. They were rolling along quite nicely up until ten days ago with
 nearly a 4-goal margin of victory over Hockey East teams. They just
 barely missed the A grade in my book ... there's hardly any difference
 between them and UNH except for recent happenings. "What have you
 done for me lately?" Also, UNH has had a slightly tougher schedule. B.U.
 will have their NCAA tourney bid in Worcester.

The "B" class ... Maine B, Providence B, Boston College B-, Lowell B-

Maine - B
 After all is said and done, this team deserves credit. Although, this is
 really a 4-6-1 team and its hard to give a team under .500 a B grade.
 But 4 out of their 6 losses were against the top 2 teams in
 the nation. I think this team has responded well in light of the recent
 happenings and I wanted to give them a B on guts alone. Northeastern
 showed us all they're just an image of teams gone by. But, they proved
 themselves worthy in three tough games against a surprising Lowell. I
 think they'll  prove the role of spoiler on occasion throughout the
 remainder of the  season but I don't see them playing all that well
 consistently. No chance at NCAA's of course.

Providence - B
 I didn't expect this squad to do this well, in spite of their losses. But,
 they have persevered. A real good showing out west this weekend
 nearly gave this squad a B and it probably should have. But, they lost a
 couple of non-conference games last month and barely managed a point
 against B.C. No challenge to B.U. Major points for sweeping
 Northeastern and Merrimack. No other HockeyEast team has a sweep
 besides UNH and BU. I don't see much potential however and I think their
 only shot at the NCAA's is through a HockeyEast tourney victory. Which
 I would never put past them! This teams chemistry and make-up are
 mysterious. They nearly took down Vermont last night.

B.C. - B minus
 This is a B+ team not playing up to potential. They've played one of the
 stronger schedules however and have shown some great potential.
 They got into the B class barely because of a good showing against St.
 Lawrence, a decisive win over Lowell and the Mich. State win. The UNH
 series shows that this team just doesn't have it together yet to challenge
 the class teams. I've seen this squad twice and I'm hoping they can
 make a NCAA tourney bid. Like UNH, they have another strong 10
 games ahead of them so that will tell us more. This is one team who can
 make a big impression with some polish and experience. Whether York
 will create that by season's end is the mystery. Creating "character" at
 B.C. these days could be a heady task.

Lowell - B minus
 Well, B.C. got a stronger B- grade than Lowell, but I really like what I've
 seen from them so far. Four Hockey East series-splits and a fairly good
 weekend showing despite two losses lends me to extend a lot more
 respect than this team gets otherwise. The young squad showed their
 inexperience recently by twice losing good leads to Maine and
 eventually falling by one goal. But, they showed promise with an
 overtime win in Maine and a closely combatted game against Vermont in
 Burlington. This squad is showing strong defensive potential at times as
 well as really strong freshman scoring. The relatively easy next 5
 games ought to build confidence for a pretty difficult finishing schedule
 through January and February. Strong special teams indicates this
 squad could have a longshot chance at beating the Hockey East
 elite as well as an NCAA bid. This is my favorite! I wouldn't be the least
 surprised to see this "working-class" squad make the tourney again.
 Not that this team will ever get the respect they deserve so keep voting
 them out of it and we'll see who goes to Worcester when the time
 comes.

The "C" class ...   Amherst C, Merrimack C-

Amherst - C
 Another year for this squad to become competitive on a game-to-game
 basis. Three of their 5 wins are against military schools and they've
 taken some HockeyEast lick'ns. Although, they've shown some potential
 in kicking the butts of weaker military squads. But, take away those
 blow-outs and a 6-5 victory over Merrimack ... and this squad is
 outscored 18-36 going 1-7 over eight games. Four games against UNH
 and BU gives significant help to an otherwise weak schedule ... but they
 were 0-4 in those games and outscored 19-9.  Not a chance at the
 NCAA's. They did play UNH close and that saves them from C-.

Merrimack - C minus
 I was dying to give this team a better grade. But .... 3-8-1 ... outscored
 38-54      You can't even point to one-goal losses any more.
 What's wrong with this squad? Do they only get up for big games? This
 is a real good team who could clearly contend if they had it all together.
 They have good-to-great talent at all positions. But, it seems to be easy
 enough to take them out of a game completely. What was once a
 promising NCAA's-potential season is now all but history. However,
 they will show up some nights and I can easily see this team above all
 others in the C-class as having the killer-potential to knock off the big
 guys. I'd give them a greater shot at a HockeyEast tourney championship
 if they could prove strong enough to put together a streak of more than
 two games. I'd look long and hard at the coach of this squad. This
 weekends losses clearly indicates inconsistency. I saw the 6-2 Lowell
 win and the 3-3 BU tie and this team can skate. We'll see who shows
 up against UNH this weekend. This is my second favorite team and I'm
 bumming!

The "D" class ...  Northeastern D+

Northeastern - D plus
 I thought this team would be a contender once they got rid of that poor
 goaltending pair ... but even Harvard gets 4 past this keeper.
 Hey they beat Michigan State and Maine! But, they've shown very little
 elsewhere. They were blown out of both UNH games. They surely made
 Maine stumble, but then BU shell-lacked them. Providence swept them -
 handily! Give Crowder another year to work his magic.