Sender:
From:
Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 16:28:31 -0500
Comments:
To: Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
> UNH was already on a power play (5 on 4) and as far as I know the extra
> penalty (making it 5 on 3) would not be counted as a separate power play,
> but as a continuation of a (2:59 long) powerplay.  I don't think there
> is any distinction made in this case, and pulling the goalie has no
> influence (ever).

Unfortunately, there are 2 power plays awarded, at least in the ECAC.  I don't
particularly like this policy, but that's the way it's recorded.

> >Another scenario would be that a team goes on a powerplay and 10
> >seconds later, they commmit an infraction bringing the teams to even
> >strength. Which means the latter team will also have a 10 second
> >powerplay after they get their man back. Do these teams get credited
> >with powerplays?

They are considered power plays.  If anyone isn't doing it, they should be.
You can't make a personal judgment on whether it's long enough -- you have to
be consistent.

The thing is, since this has been done since the beginning of time, you can
still use the same numbers to compare with other teams.  In other words, it was
always recorded this way, so you don't have to adjust your frame of reference.

Some pro statisticians do keep power play goals as a percentage of time on the
power play.  In other words, actually counting power play minutes.  One thing
this also does is factor in how long it takes a team to score a power-play
goal.

AW