Sender:
From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:13:30 EST
>  Steve Moerland wrote:
>     Maybe the NC$$ isn't doing anybody any good by putting them at home, after
> all.  Since they started placing teams at home in regionals a couple of years
> ago, those home teams are 1-4 and none have survived the regional.  Hell,
> Lowell should have been happy to have the opportunity to play MSU at Munn,
> especially considering the way the Spartans have played the past few weeks.
> For the record, RPI lost at home in 94 to someone (I forget who), MSU lost to
> Mass-Lowell in Munn in '94 and '96 and Wisconsin beat MSU at Madison last year
> but then turned around and lost to michigan.  Some advantage.

Yes, but in most of the cases, the host team was playing a significantly
higher seed.  You really can't expect that #6 vs. #3 or #4 vs. #1 would have
a very good record.  The only time the higher seed was the host, they won.  And
this year was the only time "close" seeds were involved, but as you mention
that was perhaps negated by MSU's poor play down the stretch.

1994:   RPI (#6) vs. UNH (#3)                   HOST LOSS
        MSU (#6) vs. Mass-Lowell (#3)           HOST LOSS

1995:   Wisconsin (#4) vs. MSU (#5)             HOST WIN
        Wisconsin (#4) vs. Michigan (#1)        HOST LOSS

1996:   MSU (#5) vs. Mass-Lowell (#4)           HOST LOSS

So I doubt we can say from all of this that being the host is anything less
than a big advantage.

DaveH