Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Mar 1996 08:20:36 -0400
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
> Although I don't remember reading or hearing anything about it,
> there was a College Hockey Centennial All-Time Favorites Poll
> sponsored by ONE XCEL and the American Hockey Coaches Association.
> To commemorate 100 years of college hockey, fans, coaches, writers
> and experts were asked to vote in numerious catergories.

OK, what fans?  Which coaches and writers?  And who are the experts
(and what are they expert in?)?

> GREATEST TEAMS
> EAST ?
>   Cornell, 1969-70
>   Maine, 1992-93
>   RPI, 1984-85
> WEST ??

While I agree that all three teams are great, I think that the
1977-78 Boston University team that went 30-2 was overlooked.
Perhaps because they did not win the ECAC Tournament, but finished
third?

And what about western teams?  Anybody else see this list with them?

> FAVORITE COACHES
> EAST
>   Jack Parker, Boston University
>
> COACHES OF THE DECADES
> EAST
>   1980's and 1990's: Jack Parker, Boston University

While I am pleased that Jack Parker was first, I wonder how much
negative impact Shawn Walsh's problem at Maine had on the voting.

> 26 PLAYER ALL-TIME TEAMS
> EAST
> Goalies:
>   Daren Puppa, RPI, 1984-85
>   Chris Terreri, Providence, 1985-86

The Globe lists 1985-86 for Chris Terreri, but I belive it should be
1984-85.  Although he had a good year in 1985-86, it was not nearly as good as
1984-85.  He was the Hockey East Player of the Year, First Team East
All-America, NCAA All-Tournamnet Team Goalie and NCAA Most
Outstanding Player (over Daren Puppa) in 1984-85.

> BEST UNIFORMS
> EAST
>   1 Boston College
>   2 Harvard
>     UMass Lowell
> WEST
>   1 North Dakota
>   2 Lake Superior
>   3 Michigan

Personally, I think that Boston University has the BEST uniform.\

As for Boston COllege's, I am interested if the votes for Boston
College's uniforms were for this year's (Jerry York's), or either
Steve Cederchuck's or Len Cleglaski's.  Of the three, I like the
current one the best and Cederchuck's the least.  While I did not
like Len's much, it was a solid design and he did not change it from
1985-86 until he retired.

In regards to UMass Lowell's. again, is it the current uniform, or an
earlier version?  I do like the current uniform and would likely have
it in my top five of current uniforms in the East, if not overall.

The same question goes for North Dakota's uniform: current or past?
While I think the current uniform is fine, I do not think it is the
best of the western teams.  However, the uniform with the Souix on it
was certainly one of the best I have ever seen all-time.

And with Michigan, it is not just current or past, but with current
or past uniform?  Home, away, special?

> BEST NICKNAMES
> EAST
>   1 Vermont Catamounts
>   2 Clarkson Golden Knights
>   3 UMass Lowell River Hawks
> WEST
>   1 North Dakota Fighting Souix
>   2 Alask Fairbanks Nanooks
>   3 Minnesota Golden Gophers

Since I the Catamounts are my second favorite team I am very happy to
see them first in this catergory.

I also looks like Umass Lowell made a very smart decision to change
their nickname from Chiefs, as there new nickname is teh third
favorite among eastern teams!

It also looks like Golden is a favorite adjective among the voters,
as the Golden Gophers and Golden Knights are both among the
favorites.

I also perosnally like the nickname Nanooks, so I am happy to see it
finish second.

> BEST ARENAS
> EAST
>   1 Conte Forum, Boston College
>   2 Gutterson Filed House, Vermont
>     Thompson Arena, Dartmouth

Having been to almost every Eastern Divison I rink (I have not been to
Cheel Arena, Clarkson or Achilles Rink, Union) I feel I can comment on
these.

For best I would not pick Conte, based on its very poor visitors bench
placement and lack of backs on much of the seating.  I also dis agree
with Thompson Arena, which I find to be too sterile.  I do agree that
Gutterson is one of the best, since its renovation.

My top three would be:

1 Whittemore Center, New Hampshire
2 Walter Brown Arena, Boston University
3 Gutterson Field House, Vermont

And yes, I really like Walter Brown Arena.  I would have it firts,
except the new Whittemore Center is really an extermely first rate
facility.

> TOUGHEST ARENAS TO VISIT
> EAST
>   1 Walker Arena, Clarkson (no longer used)
>   2 Gutterson Field House, Vermont
>   3 Lynah Rink, Cornell

Since Walker Arena, is no longer used, I think it is not fair for it
to have been listed.  As a fan I did find it tough to visit, however
the Terriers won the game.

My list of toughest would be:
1 Alfond Arena, Maine
2 Lynah Rink, Cornell
3 Volpe Complex, Merrimack
4 Gutterson Field House, Vermont

> TOUGHEST ROAD TRIP
> EAST
>   1 Clarkson-St. Lawrence
>   2 Maine
>   3 Cornell-Colgate

Having gone to the one trip the Terriers have made to Clarkson and
St. Lawrence (I believe taht they will make the trip again next
season), I agree it is a very tough trip.  However, since I made it
in a three day snow storm, I am not sure if it is usually better, or
always that bad.

Maine would be my choice of toughest trip, but then BU makes that
trip every year (and so do I).

As for the Cornell-Colgate trip, BU has not played them on the same
trip in over twelve years, so I have never been on a combined trip to
both,.  However, I have gone on the trip to each seperately, and I
think the Cornell trip is quite tough, especially on a Tuesday.  The
COlgate trips did not seem as bad, but they also were always on a
Saturday.

> WEST
>   1 Alaska Anchorage
>     Alaska Fairbanks
>   3 Michigan Tech
>   3 Michigan State

I find it interesting that Michigan Tech is on the list, yet Northern
Michigan, which is not far from it, is not.  I also find it
interesting that Michigan State is listed, yet Lake Superior is not.
I would have thought from everything I have read on Hockey-L that the
trip to the Soo is a much tougher trip than one to Michigan State.

Well, I think taht is more than enough comments from me.

Sean Pickett            E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Go Terriers  1995 NCAA, Hockey East and Beanpot Champions
BU Hockey:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html
The Bedford Flag:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/flag.html
But I Digress:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/bid.html