Sender:
From:
"Philip R. Baumann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 1996 08:57:18 CDT
> The first problem I see is dilution of talent.  If such a dilution was
> spread equally among the teams, this wouldn't cause me a lot of grief; I'd
> still find the game exciting even if the average talent level was lower.
> Unfortunately, it won't be spread evenly.  In the WCHA, Minnesota and
> Wisconsin won't feel the pinch nearly as strongly as anyone else.  Already,
> the Gophers have a huge edge in recruiting the players they want.

Granted, the Gophers have a huge edge.  Any kid is attracted to a
strong, successful program with a long tradition.  But I'm not sure
the dilution of talent is that big an issue in this area.  There's a
strong sense in much of Minnesota that there are a lot of kids with
D1 potential who don't get recruited.  Many end up playing in D2 or
D3, or in the USHL.  It seems to me that new programs would do well
recruiting these kids then developing them.  Isn't that what we mean
by a development coach?  Based on scanty, anecdotal evidence, this
seems to be a part of Mankato's strategy.

> don't think that this causes a lot of resentment, ask the folks in Duluth
> how they feel about Dave Spehar going from Duluth East to Minnesota next
> year.

It's my understanding that Sertich didn't make a serious effort to
get Spehar, as he (Spehar) had made it clear that he wanted to get
away from home.

> St. Cloud State joining the league has hurt the Bulldogs recruiting.

Perhaps.  But Sertich has a reputation in much of Minnesota (whether
deserved or not) for being more interested in recruiting in Canada
than in Minnesota.  St. Cloud is an example of a team that recently
went D1 and has been successful, or at least right on the edge of
significant success.  And they've had an advantage in the last couple
years (especially last year, graduating 11 players) of offering top
prospects the potential of playing immediately (e.g., Cullen and
Parish).  In any case, if expansion hurts the recruiting of
established programs by moving good prospects to new programs, that
would seem to indicate a move toward parity rather than disparity.

A greater problem with expansion, if it does occur, would seem to be
league membership and scheduling.  But that can be worked out in any
number of ways if people want it to be.

Finally, FWIW, while no one would call Omaha a hockey town, the USHL
Lancers regularly fill their arena, and Omaha does have a well-
organized youth hockey program.

Philip R. Baumann                     Phone:  (218) 236-2943
Department of Political Science         Fax:  (218) 236-3945
Moorhead State University
Moorhead, Minnesota  56563    E-mail: [log in to unmask]