Sender:
From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 08:13:58 -0800
Both Terry and Jill make some good points in their discussion.  I've played
goal for several years, starting out in college intramural games and moving
through muni leagues.  I've always been the #1 goalie on every team I've
played for (okay, I've always been the *only* goalie...) so I can't speak to
the pressure put on by a backup.  But I do agree that goaltenders need
special attention (some might say SPECIAL ED!) in practice and/or clinics.

My experience has always been that of a target (blocking dummy for
footballers out there) in practice.  The forwards and defensepeople (PC) use
you as a target for their own edification, nothing else.  Even in
pregame warmups, they are more concerned with scoring on you than
warming you up.  (I hate those $*!&$(%) jerks who want to practice their
breakaways as soon as you step out of the locker room!!!)

Lucky goalies end up on a team where the coach recognizes this and
offers some set-aside time for skills work or brings in a higher level goalie
to supplement their own experience.  Specialized goalie schools are fine but
as players get older, clinics are few and far between.  I think it's very
important for coaches to keep tabs on their former goalies to use as a
teaching resource down the road.

Drills and exercises are cool, as you can never overdo conditioning.
(Although the same drills for forwards don't always transfer, like those
stupid blue line-red line sprints.)  But live action is the best teacher of
all.  Mix it up but always remember to keep your goalie in the flow of the
practice.  If your forwards are doing passing drills, have the goalie
work on playing the puck up off the glass from behind the net.  And during
games, it's not a bad idea to have your Ds skate over and wake up the goalie
during those long breaks without a shot :)

Keeping the biscuit out of the basket,
Mark

Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
  UAF Hockey fans say: "With Cody Bowtell on the ice, who needs defense?"