Sender:
Date:
Tue, 12 Nov 1991 16:16:30 EST
I have never been able to understand why a sport such as college
hockey, with its tremendous following in certain parts of the
country, has never been able to generate the type of media coverage
I know we would all like to see.  Regarding ESPN, I was told last
season by a fellow SID that the powers-that-be at ESPN are not
particularly fond of hockey. Whether that is actually true or not, I
don't know.  But the network's lack of interest in an NHL contract
and its apparent lack of interest in running college hockey scores
would seem to support that statement.  But it's not just ESPN.  What
about CNN?  Sports Illustrated?  The Sporting News?  Sport?  Inside
Sports?  This great sport of ours that we all crave enough to want to
converse and exchange information about every day has an almost cult-
like following.  It's too bad, too, because as we all know, it's one
of the most exciting and entertaining of collegiate sports.

As an SID, I will continue to promote my school and the sport on the
whole as well as I can.  How might that be done on a national level.
A few quick suggestions...it would be nice if SIDs had to report our
statistics to the NCAA the way basketball, football, etc. do.  Then
maybe we could have national leaders available to media to generate
more interest on an individual player level...how about a national
game of the week?...how about a college hockey record book?...how
about t.v. for the entire NCAA tournament and not just the semifinals
and final.  Just some ideas.  I'd love to hear someone else's.  Sorry
to be so long!

Justin Doherty, N. Michigan