Sender:
From:
"Luiz F. Valente" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:07:17 EST
>Posted on 1 Mar 1995 at 05:40:50 by Ralph Baer
>
>Re: Financial aid vs. scholarship
>
>I don't claim to totally understand what Mike quoted above.  What I
>wonder is how these rules apply to schools that don't award athletic
>scholarships (e.g., the Ivies).  It has been mentioned several times
>over the two years that I have read Hockey-L, and I have also seen it
>mentioned in newspapers, that the Ivies (and other schools also, I am
>sure) look at the total picture of any incoming student when deciding
>upon financial aid -- including whether they play sports.  Thus it
>would seem that every recruited hockey player at the Ivy League
>schools would count to the 18-player limit (assuming they receive some
>type of financial aid).  Now, I think that the Ivies still have JV
>teams and thus probably have more than 18 players who count against
>the limit, even though none receives an athletic scholarship.  Is this
>correct?
>
>Ralph Baer
>RPI '68, '70, '74

The 18-scholarship limit doesn't apply to the Ivies. Awards are made
to individual students regardless of whether they actually compete
in the sport they were recruited for. If a student-athlete decides
s/he doesn't want to play, his or her financial aid isn't affected.
Many student-athletes in the Ivies don't receive any financial aid
because of their families' ability to pay the tuition and fees in full.

The Ivies do put a limit on the number of recruited student-athletes
that can be brought in. I think that for hockey it's 40 over a 4-year
year period. Brown currently has 31 players on the roster and no JV
JV team.

Luiz F. Valente