Sender:
From:
Comstrike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Jan 1995 19:12:11 -0500
Jerry York was BGSU's coach last year, and for the previous 15.  He was a
great coach here at one time, but his time here was clearly over.  I
don't know what the situtation at Boston College was when he got there
this year but he does not seem to be having much luck there.

J.W. Davis does hit on a couple of points I and others here agree with.
Frankly this team hasn't ever known what it is like to be playing at the
top of the league, and in the polls.  That was obvious last night.  On
the flip side they have been getting better, I expected them to lose the
MU game handily after the blitzkrieg at OSU Friday, fitting into their
old pattern of losing "easy" games after winnin big the night before.
They didn't win last night, but they played better than I have come to
expect after the last few years.  That some players seem selfish stems
from Buddy Powers letting them play.  Jerry York stiffeled the Falcons
with his style.  Last year when Holzinger would get a clean breakaway you
could seem him have to literally come to a screeching halt to pass off.
Not because it was the thing to do, but because it was what he was being
told to do.  Most of CCHA crowd has seen he is at his best when he is
"let loose" on the other team.  This year Powers is, by his own
addmision, letting the players go out there and cut loose.  Then he sees
what works, finds out who can do what, and then adjusts the lines, and
his tactics accordingly. Which is what we have seen in a lot of the
non-con games, and games aginst teams like ND, and OSU.  Besides it is
hard to argue that Holzinger gets the puck to much. :)  The team is far
from perfect, but we do have a number of very good frosh, and sophs and a
good number of talented Jr.s coming back.  If nothing else I think BG may
have seen the end of the long and painfull period of decline under York.

Nathan W.L. Boyle
"Whoes the last MSU player to win Hobby Baker? Opps sorry they've never
had one."  :)