Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 1995 15:08:31 -0500
Dave Hendrickson wrote:

>(Some assists are "soft" and others are not.  If O'Sullivan's assist
>was a strong one then statistically he was Rausch's equal.)
>
>Note that I consider a "strong" assist to be the equal of a goal or sometimes
>more so.  On the winning goal, who performed the better play, the guy who set
>Rausch up for the easy tap in or Rausch for tapping it in?  To me, that's a
>no-brainer.   The impressive one on that goal was the passer.  Rausch's
>performance on the game winner was nothing exceptional.

Of course the "strong assist" would be be credited if the "easy tap in", say
missed the net (of which I have seen many over the years following BU).  You
can not give out assists if there is no goal.

I also guess many of Mike Grier's goal this year are not really impressive
or exceptional, since he has "tapped in" many, many pucks that other players
passed to him while he *just* stood in front of the net.

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!