Sender:
From:
"Joseph A. Gherlone Jr., LT, USN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 1994 13:50:31 -0800
On Dec 6, 12:10, David Kaufman wrote:
> Subject: Re: Expectation of RPI fans
>      All four years I was there ('87-'88 to '90-'91) RPI was
>      supposed to at *least* get to the NCAA's.  However, I don't think this
>      is unique to RPI. This is all part of college sports.  Especially at a
>      school that lives and breathes just one sport like RPI.  It's the same
>      at some other schools and sports of note:  Notre Dame football (it's
>      hard to win a national championship with four losses :-) ) and North
>      Carolina basketball (ok, they are #1 right now, but last year's
>      supposed final four team lost to BC in the round of 32) come to mind.
>      There is also the old philosophy of "any team can beat any other team
>      on any given night, otherwise we wouldn't play the game at all."  I
>      promise there will be another upset this year in college hockey!
>
>      Dave / RPI '91
>      LET'S GO RED!!
>-- End of excerpt from David Kaufman

        i think Dave is right that a big issue with RPI is the fact that it is
a one-sport school.  the expectations are high because there is nothing else to
look forward to.

        however, i'm surprised to hear him say that RPI was expected to make
the national tournament in 87-91 ==> i certainly didn't expect it, and neither
did most of those that i know who were at the school during the championship
season.  we watched all the seasoned talent hit the bricks for the big-time,
and knew bloody well that it was going to be a few years before the raw talent
coming in was really up to speed.

        i've not been paying attention for the last few years (been in Cali --
where hockey is what the Ducks play -- & didn't know about this list until this
year), but i think RPI has got a strong start and a lot of talent this year.
 my original comment stands -- they've got a shot, if overconfidence doesn't do
'em in.  :-)

                                        jag RPI '87