Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Nov 1994 21:17:09 EST
So what are we to make of the ECAC after the first full weekend of league
play?  None of the three preseason favorites -- Harvard, Vermont, and
Clarkson -- are any higher than sixth, as those teams went a combined 2-3-1.
Meanwhile, Brown keeps rolling along, retaining their spot atop the
standings with a weekend sweep.  Close behind, RPI opens the season by
putting 14 goals on the board against Clarkson and St. Lawrence -- one week
after an embarrassing loss to Army.  The league's three other undefeated
teams are Cornell, Dartmouth, and Union; would anyone have bet on any one of
those teams going undefeated in the first weekend?

Game results from Friday and Saturday:

Friday, November 11:
     Brown 5, PRINCETON 4 (OT)
     Dartmouth 5, CORNELL 5 (OT)
     RPI 7, Clarkson 1
     UNION 6, St. Lawrence 2
     Vermont 4, COLGATE 1
     YALE 3, Harvard 2

Saturday, November 12:
     Brown 4, YALE 1
     Clarkson 3, UNION 3 (OT)
     CORNELL 3, Vermont 2
     Dartmouth 3, COLGATE 2
     Harvard 6, PRINCETON 4
     RPI 7, St. Lawrence 5

ECAC standings as of 11/13/94:

                   League                       Overall
Team                W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA     W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
Brown               3   0   0    6   13    8     3   0   0    6   13    8
RPI                 2   0   0    4   14    6     4   2   0    8   29   20
Cornell             1   0   1    3    8    7     1   0   1    3    8    7
Dartmouth           1   0   1    3    8    7     2   0   1    5   13   11
Union               1   0   1    3    9    5     3   1   1    7   24   18
Yale                1   1   0    2    4    6     2   1   0    4    8    8
Vermont             1   1   0    2    6    4     4   1   0    8   24    8
Harvard             1   2   0    2   11   11     1   2   0    2   11   11
Clarkson            0   1   1    1    4   10     2   2   2    6   23   27
Princeton           0   2   0    0    8   11     1   2   0    2   12   14
Colgate             0   2   0    0    3    7     3   2   0    6   19   14
St. Lawrence        0   2   0    0    7   13     1   4   0    2   12   25

And, as a special bonus, here are the Ivy League standings:

Team               W   L   T  Pts   GF   GA
----------------------------------
Brown              3   0   0    6   13    8
Yale               1   1   0    2    4    6
Harvard            1   2   0    2   11   11
Cornell            0   0   1    1    5    5
Dartmouth          0   0   1    1    5    5
Princeton          0   2   0    0    8   11

Expect more shake-ups next weekend, as ten of the twelve teams will be
battling each other in league games (RPI and Union sit this weekend out,
hosting non-league foes Saturday night).  The weekend schedule:

Friday, November 18:
     Colgate at Brown
     Cornell at Harvard
     Princeton at Clarkson
     Vermont at Dartmouth
     Yale at St. Lawrence

Saturday, November 19:
     Colgate at Harvard
     Cornell at Brown
     Dartmouth at Vermont
     Princeton at St. Lawrence
     Yale at Clarkson
     Elmira at Union (NC)
     RPI at Mass Lowell (NC)
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94.5               |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  DJF  5/27/94
"I had a terrible time in college, until I finally figured out what my
 problem was.  I had been highlighting with a black magic marker."
-- Jeff Altman