Sender:
From:
Duke Of Earl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 91 13:52:34 EST
As you all know by now, the Wildcats of Northern Michigan University
beat the SeaWolves of the University of Alaska-Anchorage 5 to 3 to
advance to the Final Four in the NCAA Division I Hockey Championship.

I must say that I am/was MOST impressed with the play of the SeaWolves.
They did not play like their record suggested.  They are a team which
deserves a great deal of credit.  They were one of the few teams who
really gave Northern a run for it at Lakeview Areana this season.  My
salute to a real fine program they have going there.

Northern again played without drive.  They had bursts of desire;
however, they generally did not look as if they understood that the team
they were up against was capable of beating them.

Gallagher went down again last evening as he took a puck to the back of
the leg (unprotected) and he pulled himself on his elbows along the ice
for several feet.  He was attended to and got up to the applause of a
considerate Northern crowd.  He did not call as good of a game in Game
II and at times I felt he was becoming inconsistent.

Now it's off to St. Paul where we meet the Black Bears of Maine.  NMU
has even more at stake here as the Black Bears beat NMU at Maine twice
this year to provide NMU with 2 of their 5 losses of the year.  We know
that this will be an outstanding game and I look forward to being there.

Enough blabbed, here are the game stats:

First Period - 1 NMU Soukoroff (6) (Melone, Beaufait) 15:15
               2 UAA Morris (20) (unassisted) 18:08

Second Period  3 NMU Ward (13) (unassisted) :44
               4 NMU Beattie (45) (Carpenter) 6:07

Third Period   5 NMU Simpson (2) (Beaufait, Carpenter) 4:09
               6 UAA Batters (29) (Kollman, Conn) 6:58
               7 NMU Hiller (21) (Beattie, Carpenter) 10:15
               8 UAA Batters (30) (Mays, Coulson) 12:21

Saves:         1      2     3    Total
       Pye     6      9    15      30
     Krake    10      9    11      30

Penalties:  NMU - 14 \ UAA - 14
Attendance:  4266

Somewhere I missed the fact that NMU has one ppg of those listed above.
I hope to meet a few of you in St. Paul.

Go Lake Superior State....we want an all Upper Peninsula Championship
Game!