From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 91 01:02:44 EST
Mike Machnik writes:
>Ken Snell writes:
>>canidate, I would say no.  He is an outstanding defenseman but it is my
>>understanding that offesive numbers or goalie stats are needed.
>
>    However, the last two years former BC defenseman Greg Brown (5-35--40
>    in 42 games in 1989-90, 9-34--43 in 1988-89) won Hockey East Player of
>    the Year and was a serious candidate for the Hobey.  Last year he
>    placed second in the balloting, but Kip Miller's tremendous season
>    was enough to beat Brown out.  It is difficult for good defensemen to
>    be recognized, you are correct.  It would be nice if there was some
>    type of Norris Trophy like Kyle Aumell mentioned to me in mail.

Since most of the statistics have to do with scoring for forwards and save
percentage and GAA for goalies, defensive guys usually wind up getting the
short end of the stick as far as recognition goes (this is true for most
sports).  Still, in addition to what Mike says about Greg Brown, I have to
point out that Mark Fusco, the 1983 Hobey Baker winner, was a defenseman.
Thus, college hockey's highest award has already gone to a defensive guy
more times in ten years than college football's highest award, the Heisman,
has in over fifty.

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"My brother was on Wheel of Fortune once -- and he embarrassed the SH** outta
 us, man:  'Yeah, Pat, I'd like to buy a vowel... lemme have a K.'"
-- Paul Rodriguez