From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 19:34:39 -0600
> Some "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out" news.

No criticism of Pam (I'm sure she agrees with me), and it probably
doesn't need restating, but this whole brawl thing has no place in
college hockey (I don't think it belongs in any hockey, but thats a
different argument).

I have never seen an article report a rumor of a planned brawl or
fight in a college hockey game before this (and hope that the
rumor is false and such things don't need reporting in the future).

On the role of Otto Breitenbach, WCHA commissioner: has any commissioner
in any league overruled game officials in *lightening* a penalty very often?
I think all commissioners are very hesitant to overrule game officials.

> Also mentioned in the article is the fact that WCHA supervisor of officials
 Ron
> Foyt will be on hand tonight.

Will he be on the ice or watching? Will it make any difference?  Foyt
has never impressed me, and his decision to return to on-ice
officiating baffles me. How can he supervise if he is working games
most weeks?

> Oh, and you may note that, in keeping with its PC team names policy, the
> Star-Tribune never referred to North Dakota as the "Fighting Sioux" in the
> quoted material above.  That is perceived as a negative image (and, in the
> context of this article, I think I might even agree.), but the name "Sioux" is
> used.

I believe that North Dakota themselves have dropped the "fighting"
from their nicname. The have also changed their logo, although keeping
the "Sioux."

        --david

--------
david parter                                         [log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison          voice: 608-262-0608/262-2389
computer sciences department                           fax: 608-262-9777