From:
"Glenn W. Gale" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Glenn W. Gale
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 1994 15:23:24 -0500
John H. Hughes ([log in to unmask]) wrote...
>    I have to agree with [log in to unmask] about nicknames.  I think
>that using the name of a Native American tribe as a team nickname is something
>that Native Americans should look on with pride.  So the Sioux, Seminoles,
>Mohawks, etc. shouldn't have a beef with those as nicknames.
(some deleted)

     Hmmm.  I believe that you should think X, therefore you should think X.
Unfortunately, I've seen this line of thinking in too many posts.  It's
easy to tell someone else how they should feel, especially when one hasn't
even walked an inch (much less a mile) in their shoes.

>-John Hughes   Clarkson '73

Thomas Rowe ([log in to unmask]) wrote...
(some deleted)
> Fighting Sioux should be a proud thing to be called.

>Hmm... What if I lived in Zaire and the local football team was know as the
>"Slavers" - I think that would bother me.  But if they were the "Fierce
>Whiteys" - so what?

     Perhaps a more apt analogy would be as follows.  Imagine that an army
of invaders from Zaire came into Wisconsin and took over the state.  They
murdered most of the white people, except for a small number which were
confined to certain areas.  Then, in their sports mascots and elsewhere,
they characterize YOUR race as a bunch of savage warriors as part of their
entertainment.

     Many people who think that offended parties are taking school nicknames
too seriously seem to get pretty serious themselves when it comes to
defending these names.

     Finally, I hope I don't see any more along the lines of "Black Bears
and Badgers might be offended."  Purveyors of this sort of absurd rhetoric
don't seem to have a clue of what actual issues are at stake.

     I know this really isn't a college hockey topic, but I wanted to
respond to what had already been posted.  I'll shut up now.

>Tom Rowe                                 Internet:  [log in to unmask]
>Department of Psychology                 ***********************************
>U. of Wisconsin - Stevens Point          Home of Division III National
>     Go Point!                           Champions 4 of the last 5 years

-Glenn
 Clarkson Univ.