Date:
Sun, 30 Jan 1994 11:14:53 EST
A couple pieces of info on the Lakers which might be of interest.

Goalie Blaine Lacher is out of play with an unidentified illness.  He was
first thought to have chicken pox, but now the doctors aren't sure what it is.
He is in Northern Michigan Hospital in Petoskey.  It is not known when he will
be able to return.  As can be seen from the scores, the Lakers miss him dearly,
with a narrow win over Kent State and a loss to Western Mich this weekend -
both in overtime at home.

The other piece of info regards LSSU's new rink.  My Father had this to say on
a talk which Laker coach Jeff Jackson gave to the Sault Ste. Marie Rotary club
a week or two ago.
-----

Jackson spoke at Rotary.  Cost is now $4,500,000.
Footings may go in this year and the rest of the work
next year.   Planning to replace ice making equipement
boards and glass.  More locker rooms with showers, more
concession stands and bathrooms.  14 or 15 of the 20
boxes have been sold. Jackson said Original bldg was built
on a swamp.  I take that to mean that the existing footings
will not take the weight of the modernization they are
planning.  I noticed some equipement that appeared to be
checking that out last week when we were walking.
This is my idea, so take it for what its worth.
(end quote)
--------
Sounds like there will be a nice new rink up in the Soo before too long.
However, seating will not be increased that much - up to about 4250 from
current 3500.  Many Sault Ste. Marie residents are most upset over the
announced increase in ticket prices to accompany the new rink, but I don't
know exactly how much we're talking.

James Old