From:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ryan Robbins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 1994 01:33:19 EST
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Pam Sweeney
<[log in to unmask]> says:

>From today's (1/1/94) St. Paul Pioneer Press's "Mariucci Classic Notebook"
>by Gary Olson:
>
>Maine coach returns
>
>............ He sat next to young men wearing Maine jackets and, at the
>end of at least one period, huddled with one to explain a note he had
>written, presumably to one of his assistant coaches.  The young man took
>the note and headed off in the direction of the Maine lockerroom.
>
>The contents of the note and the young man's destination aren't known, but
>there's no way Walsh can deny the appearance of pushing the limits of his
>suspension.

I know because I'm a student at Maine it looks like I'm biased, but what
kind of reporting is this supposed to be? Journalists should always report
the facts. In this "story" there are no facts, just a reporter who's
making the news.

I agree with Pam. Walsh could have written out his lunch order for all
we know. What Olson should have done was follow, or have someone follow,
the man who took the note. Even then, what is the purpose of Olson's
story? If it were an NCAA suspension, a case could be made for reporting
it. Assumptions, especially those made by reporters, should not be taken
seriously unless there is an abundance of supporting information.

Ryan Robbins
Stodder Hall
University of Maine