From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1993 10:53:43 -0600
David Carroll writes:
>Thanks to Keith Instone for posting those stats for CCHA.
>I'm wondering if anyone has similar stats for Hockey East.
>I'm especially interested in power play % and penalty killing %
>(league and overall) and in goalies' goals-against-average and
>save-percentage.

This information appears in the Hockey East press release early each
week.  In the past, I've been able to get copies of it and have typed
some of it in, but now it's pretty much impossible for me to get
a copy until the following weekend.  By that time, it's outdated, and
also I haven't had the time to type it in.  If HE maintained a bbs
like the CCHA has, it would be possible to download files and send
them right out, but that capability does not exist right now.  Unless
someone else is able to get the release in a timely manner and post
the information, I am afraid we will not see it here often if at all.

Basically, I feel the CCHA has been far ahead of the other conferences
in this regard (with their bbs).  Hopefully soon the others will catch
up, but it also takes money to do these things, so I understand why
not everyone can do it.

I'm certainly not picking on Dave here because his was a legitimate
request and I just wanted to explain why it isn't as easy to do.  But
I have also seen messages from other folks who *seemed* upset that
certain things weren't available or being posted, and this is probably
a good time to address this.  Please understand that every single
thing you see on HOCKEY-L is a result of someone volunteering to
undertake collecting and posting the material.  I.e. the league stats
and standings, scores, schedules, rosters, newspaper articles, game
box scores, rankings & polls, and so on.  None of us get paid to do
this.  But with everything available here (and I believe it is more
than you can get from any single publication), when there is a post
complaining about why someone hasn't posted such-and-such, I know I
tend to wonder what more we have to do and it can be annoying.  So
keep in mind what makes HOCKEY-L what it is, but also, I encourage
people who have access to information they'd like to see here, to go
ahead and post.  I appreciate the efforts you all make, and I am sure
the same goes for the other readers.

My point is, constructive criticism and requests are always welcome so
that we can improve what we do, but annoying complaints or impatience
(i.e. a post of "why hasn't someone posted the State U-City U score?"
within hours after a game) might only serve to deter the effort of the
very folks who keep the list alive.  Just a thought.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (6-5-1) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>>
Go BU! (football, 12-0, at Idaho in I-AA playoffs Saturday 4 pm)