From:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Gibbons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Nov 1993 12:27:57 EST
>        I don't understand these comments.  To me, an example of a "win-at-any-
>       cost" attitude would be, say, recruiting players who are academically
>       unsuited to the institution.  Mark seems to be saying that recruiting
>       players from out of state (or out of country) is another example.  Why?

You may be right, I guess it is the idea of recruiting kids to go to a school
to play a game.  You don't hear much of major Uni's running to the far ends
of the earth to get some math/science/english stand-out to enroll.  I debated
before I posted the note because I know the idea is simplistic & unrealistic.
I see NC$$ football and basketball as minor leauge feeder teams to the pros &
think that hockey is falling into the same boat (obviously I don't think that
is in the best interest of the sport, or the people playing it).  I know that
many states could not support a DivI hockey program, I wish they would put the
effort into building youth hockey programs that would & not into beating the
bushes of Minn. or Moose Jaw or Mass.  I KNOW that is unrealistic.  This is
just as critical of Woog & the U of M as any other school.  Sorry if my point
is muddled, maybe it is too much time here in hockey hell.

me