Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 91 14:47:53 EST
Ref Piotrowski:
Well, I like him, but I take a referee's point of view rather than a
fan's point of view (or try to) and get a bit disgusted with those
who only like the calls that go for them and attack the ref when the
calls go against them.

As an aside of the Friday game:
  There was a penalty called late in the game that would have given
MSU a man advantage for the last (about) minute of the game that was
botched in some fashion.  First of all the Arena clock did not work
correctly throughout the game as far as recording penalties, neither
the player number nor time, and sometimes no lights at all when a
penalty was being served.

  The referee is the ultimate "decision maker" so he missed this one somehow.
I'm not on the inside of this so don't know enough details to say more.
It was MSU's "home" game, Michigan had Saturday night.  I don't know
who the secondary officials (including penalty timekeeper) were or who
assigned them, but my info was that it was not MSU personnel.  In the
paper, the penalty was not recorded at all.