From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 91 18:39:12 CST
Gee, a bunch of Wisconsin alumni write articles and all they can
talk about is beer.  Well beer and hockey do go together like, well,
hmmm, beer and brats?   I don't suppose too many other college
rinks have beer gardens on the premises.  Ah, that is their loss.
But there is great sadness in Mad City.  That stinking Republican
president has raised the liquor tax(he broke a promise) and now a
large beer at the Great Dane costs $3.75.  That's highway robbery!
At least now I make it back to my seat before the start of the next
period.  :-)

Now why Carol has a problem with Wisconsin I don't know.  I suspect
other fans cheer against Minnesota because for the last 10 years or
so Minn. has been #1 or #2 in the WCHA(maybe a #3 in there somewhere)
every year.  People root against the top dog; rarely against the
underdog.  So in a way it is a compliment to the Minnesota hockey program.
Unfortunately some people articulate this sentiment in a rather crude
way.  Overall, though, I think Wisconsin has pretty good fans.  They
always have a good time, win or lose.  And that is not a bad attitude
if you are willing to share your camaraderie with others.

---the mg