From:
Joshua Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua Atkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 17:54:48 -0400
"Larry Haag, Eastman Kodak Co., Rochester, NY" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Mike wrote:
>
>>I was not surprised that 14 games was the penalty handed down by the
>>NC$$ - it's consistent with the way they have handled other cases.
>>But it is also consistent with the NC$$'s ludicrous policy of punishing
>>the student-athlete whenever possible, even if it's not deserved.  I
>>would consider it deserved if Ingraham knew he was not eligible but
>>played anyway, yet all the evidence points to the fact that it was a
>>mistake made by the institution (apparently unintentional) and one he
>>was unaware of.
>
>Anyone think that hundreds of letters to the NC$$ might help?  How about a
>HOCKEY-L "Free Cal" campaign???  Letters coming in from all across the country
>(as compared to only coming from partisan Mainers) would not only show
>widespread support for Cal, but may also shake the NC$$ a little when they
>realize how may people realize the stupid things they do.  While personal
>letters would be more effective, we could even post a form letter to the list
>which everyone could simply print out and stuff in an envelope.
>
>How about it?  What's the address and to whom should such a letter be sent?
>

>                              Larry

I think this is a good idea.  Even thou the history of the NC$$ listening to things like this , or
for that matter being fair, is not a good one, this would seem to be about the best thing that
we could do.

I seriously doubt that there would be ANY complaints about the penalty if what Cal did was
intentional.

Joshua Atkins
Allegheny College