From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1993 14:01:03 EST
I found the story written by the Post reporter to be very amusing.
As is often the case, I feel I know much more about the "writer"
than I do about her topic.  I always love reading a newspaper
story when the reporter is completely out of his/her depth.

I thought the best "back-hander" compliment was: "... skates are the
great equalizer: they make everyone look fast.".  I will not list
the men's and women's teams that I watched last year that were any-
thing but looking quick.  Still, its a wonderful statement about how
swift these women are.  I have yet to see the Women's National Team,
but when I think about the quicker players on Providence, or North-
eastern, or UNH, it must be a delightful flash of movement.  I know
that two of the three ECAC final games were quick and marvelous.

Meanwhile, I wonder what the ice dancers and synchronized swimmers
are planning for the Post.  Legitimatizing sports, art ... is a rather
silly occupation.

I enjoyed Providence's coach John Marchetti comments.  I have had
a high degree of respect for the way he manages his team.  I find
his comments about the men's game to be unfortunately spot on.  What
the fascination is in watching people hit each other along the corner
boards has always been a mystery to me.

Finally, does anyone know who the US Team coach Karen Kay is?  Did
she play for UNH?  Where was she an assistant?

/
 good shooting
 rhun