From:
tony BU'92'93 <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tony BU'92'93 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1993 16:12:49 EDT
Rumor which has yet to be confirmed:

rumor here in Burlington, MA, hometown of Boston University
forward Jay Pandolfo, is that Jay will be leaving BU to go
pro this year (after only one year of college).

There is absolutely no wind of this in the BU area, so, if
he is, the other BU players do not know yet.

The source is his ex-girlfriend, so I have to state that
this is an UNCONFIRMED rumor, which might be exaggerated,
twisted, or completely untrue.

It is possible, and I believe more likely, that he is simply
going to go to the camp, see if he can get a one-way contract,
and then decide based on that.  Yes, he was a first-round
draft pick this year, but he is also only 18 years old (turning
19 soon).  Having only played one year at BU (and NOT starting),
I have trouble believing that he would be willing to risk a
free education for what may amount to $40,000 per year in the
minors.  Having gone to school with his older cousin, I would
say that the family is more education-minded than that.  The
extra $20,000 would not be worth it (unless he actually makes
the big time).
    If he makes it, great!  That would be yet another former
BU player in the pros.  I just hope he does not wind up like
many other former players who left too early, a minor leaguer
longing for his college days.  (ex - Joe Sacco left BU early
many years ago.  His younger brother, Dave Sacco, learns from
this and, as you all saw, stayed the full five (one year
was a redshirt).)

Again, only rumor, but I hope he makes the right choice,
whichever that may be.

Tony  BU'92'93

p.s. - I would put a disclaimer here (following other, more
experienced posters' examples), but as I do not presently
have an employer to be held responsible for this...
<one needs a job to get in trouble with one's boss>

Bye