From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 1993 16:15:35 -0500
Just to clear things up:

The 1995 West regional will be hosted by Wisconsin and will be
held in Madison at the Dane County Coliseum.  The 1994 West regional
site has not been determined yet according to the morning newspaper.

Quick notes:
(1) This does not mean a return to campus sites.
Quite the opposite is true.  This means the NCAA has decided to stick
with the regional format for at least two more years.  (Fine with me.)
Whether Wisconsin ends up playing at home is left as an exercise to the
fortune tellers.

(2) The Dane County Coliseum "only" seats ~8600 people.  This is much smaller
than Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.  For whatever reason, the West regional
at the Joe did not attract a lot of fans and a half full (or was that a
quarter full) arena really kills the atmosphere for any sporting event.
I think going to smaller arenas, at least for the West regional, will work
to create a little excitement and tournament tradition.   Maybe in a few
years larger arenas can be tried again.

(3) The newspaper article concerning the hockey tournament sites consistently
referred to the "hockey semifinals and final games" and never once mentioned
the forbidden words---the F***l F**r.  The Wisconsin State Journal writers
probably read hockey-l.

---mg

"I just robbed a grocery store, I'm going to Dis knee land."