From:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Christopher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1993 09:38:54 EDT
Western Michigan is Division I, as Mike M. guessed.  It is indeed in the
Mid-American Confernce with Miami, Kent, Bowling Green (and non-Division
I hockey schools such as Ohio University, Toledo, Central Michigan and
Ball State (Indiana).  Ferris State, on the other hand, is Division II
in all sports but hockey, like my own institution, Michigan Tech and
LSSU.

On the possibility raised that schools such as Northern Michigan may be
stacking the deck by putting all their resources into (well, most of
them) into hockey, this could possibly be levelled at LSSU, since the
Lakers do not have a football program.  The other Michigan schools who
are Division II in all but hockey all have football, which is even more
expensive than hockey--and nowhere near the revenue generator that
hockey is, meaning that the NET investment in hockey as a proportion of
the athletic expenditures is actually rather small.

 *  Steve Christopher, NMU  [log in to unmask] - GO CATS!  * * * *    *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey National Champions  1990-91   * "WE'VE *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1991-92           *  ONLY  *   *
 *  NCAA Division I Hockey Final Eight 1992-93           *  JUST  *   *
 *  WCHA League Champions 1990-91                        *  BEGUN"*   *
 *  WCHA Playoff Champions 1988-89/1990-91/1991-92         * * * *    *