Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1993 15:10:59 EDT
Disease on page 365 of Medical Journal:

Volpe Symplex:
   Symptoms:  Complete freezing of the lower half
              of the body accompanied by intermittent
              outbreaks of sweating on the forehead.
   Addtl Symptm:  Utter sarcasm on part of opposing
              fans.
   Known cases:  On the div I level, most prevalent
              at Merrimack's Volpe Complex (hence,
              the name).  Although it may occur in
              different forms elsewhere, the writer
              of the journal, Tony @ BU, has not seen
              it this bad at any HE rinks or most
              ECAC rinks.  (I've watched a lot of
              hockey)

Quick humorous story (sorry Mike) - BU @ Merrimack (every date)
   As the fans begin to freeze, some unknown rowdy fans
(as Mike will vouch, I, of course, discourage any such
taunting behavior:-) began chanting loudly, "Turn on the
heat!...Turn on the heat!...etc."  When the rink gods
responded to our desperate pleas and the switch was thrown,
the dangling space heaters began to cook.  Soon, a
as everyone's foreheads began sweating, the layers start
coming off and some unknown rowdy fans stood up and began
surfing while loudly asking for sunscreen.  (I, of course
scolded such behavior)  Soon, the heat was off again, and
layers began returning to everyone's bodies.

I am quite sure that outdoor rinks are far worse, but they
are div III or club.  I can not offer any opinion on
western rinks, but in the east (I have seen every HE and
most ECAC rinks), Merrimack is the coldest div I rink I
have seen.

P.S.- Whoever complained about Dartmouth's rink should
  get out more often.  I, personally, like Dartmouth's
  rink a lot.  I would enjoy watching any game there.
  For you HE people, Dartmouth's set up is very similar
  to Providence's, only a little better.

The previous messages, except the p.s., are meant in
good fun, and in no way wish to insult the people on
the Hockey-L, their friends, relatives, acquaintances,
schools, rinks (except maybe Mike), pets, mascots,
farm animals, or small lifeless tissues.

Can't wait for the madness to start,
Tony  BU'92 '93