From:
Peter Kester <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Feb 91 09:16:36 -0500
It was not a good weekend for the Bowdoin College Polar Bears who
lost two key ECAC III games making their playoff chances look slim.

Friday 2/1
---------
@Norwich 3   Bowdoin 1

Norwich, 4-11 going into the game, led 3-0 for nearly the entire game.
Bowdoin's only goal was scored by Jim Klapman with apparently no time
left in the game.  Most observers claim that the buzzer had sounded
first, but the goal was allowed.  The call didn't change the outcome,
although it robbed the Norwich goalie of a shutout.

Saturday 2/2
------------
@Middlebury 4   Bowdoin 3  (OT)

Controversy also plagued Saturday's game at Middlebury.  Bowdoin was
leading 3-0 with 2 minutes left in the 2nd period.  Middlebury broke
the shutout to be trailing 3-1 after 2.  They scored again at about
9:30 of the third to make it a one goal game.

The controversial goal came with 1:38 left in the 3rd on a breakaway.
Supposedly, the man who took the pass was obviously offsides but the
ref made no call.  Perhaps if ECAC III was using a one ref/2 linesman
system instead of the 2 ref (who also have to scramble to make
offsides calls) system, the offsides would have been caught.  Of
course, I was not at the game and only caught the news second hand.
Did anyone happen to witness what happened?  Just curious.

The two losses put Bowdoin in a tight spot to make the playoffs.  For
Bowdoin to finished above .500 in divisional play, we must win 4 of
our last 5 ECAC III games.  Bowdoin's remaining games are:

2/8 home against Union
    This may be the last time we ever play Union who as we all know is
moving to ECAC Div I next year.  Being Bowdoin's Winter's weekend, I
will be making the journey North and will actually get to see this
game.  No doubt it will be a tough one for the Polar Bears.  The
little brother of a friend of mine will be doing color for Union
radio at this game.  My friend and I are thinking of ways to torture
him while he's on the air; any ideas? :-)

2/9 home against Hamilton
    Bowdoin beat Hamilton earlier this season 5-4 in the consolation
game of the Codfish Bowl.  I'll be at this game as well before having
to return to Northern VA.

2/12 at Salem State
    Salem State has convincingly beaten Bowdoin both times they have
met this season by the scores 11-5 and 10-6.  After losing the last
one at home by 4 goals, I'm not sure how much of a chance we have
against them on the road.

2/15 home against Conn. College
2/16 home against Amherst
    These are both non-league games.

2/20 at Colby
    Colby is always a tough game because of the intense rivalry.  At
their last meeting, these two team tied 4-4 at Bowdoin.

2/23 at St. Anselm
    The last game of the regular season.  Bowdoin beat St. A's 5-4 at
Bowdoin on 1/12.

Post season play for Bowdoin doesn't look promising.  I'll have to
check to see when the last time we didn't make the playoffs was.

My thanks to Matt Schechter ([log in to unmask]) for providing
most of the information.

                                     +-------+
Peter J. Kester                      |        \
INTERNET:   [log in to unmask]        |        /
BITNET:     pkester@mitre            | /
VOICE:      (703) 883-5623 [Work]    |+
            (703) 849-9475 [Home]    | \