From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 1993 08:52:32 -0500
>   Speaking of Wisconsin, the Badgers' athletic board is poised to take
> political correctness to new extremes.

I'm sure the members of hockey-l don't want to debate this in this forum.

>   Friday, it is expected to approve a rule which prohibits its teams from
> playing schools with Native American nicknames, mascots or logos.

The proposed new policy comes after hearings and discussion by a
board subcommittee, at the request of Native American groups.

>   Also interesting: The rule won't apply to Big Ten teams, so the Badgers
> will be able to continue competing against the politically incorrect
> Fighting Illini of Illinois.

> Does this mean that the Badgers can no longer play the University of
> North Dakota Fighting Soup in the WCHA?  Hmmm.

The policy would ban non-league games with teams with Indian mascots
after current contracts expire. It would not affect WCHA games
against North Dakota or NC$$ tournament games against any team.

        --david