From:
Karl James Brophey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karl "jEsTeR" Brophey
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1993 12:03:43 GMT
Sorry folks, no box from me -- I just got back from the bus trip
down from the north country and I want sleep soon, but first a few
notes...
First period saw no scoring and certainly none of the fire that I
have seen RPI play with in other games this season.  Starting early
in the second though, they looked alive and after increasing the
lead to 3-0 SLU never really looked like they could chip the defense
enough to get back into it.
My biggest impression though was the reffing.  These two, Ammian and
Kelly, did not look like ECAC refs tonight.  This was one of the
chippier games I've seen this season and IMHO more calls should have
been made early to get the game under control.  Only 3 penalties were
assessed during the first period.  To their credit however, they were
at least being consistant in not calling anything.  During the Clarkson
game the previous night, they progressed from calling Al Kummu for a
"slash" in the second period on a 3 on 5 when he hit one of the Knights
on the back with the blade of his stick to cause him to turn rather than
going back to play the puck.  There was no wind up - it looked more like
a tap than a "hit" with the stick, none the less, off he went.  After
this typical for the ECAC anal retentive call, we went on to the 3rd
period where virtually nothing was called and it seemed that virtually
any time an RPI player tried skating the puck, he was hauled down with
a stick.  I've tried to learn to be objective about reffing, and I think
I've to a large degree succeeded, but those two were bozo's on friday
night, and while Clarkson had definitely out skated RPI, the sudden
turn to no-calls seemed to prevent any chance for RPI to get momentum
to mount a come-back.

Just my $.02
--
[log in to unmask] | Ex-manager America's Pep Band (RPI) | Better dead
Karl Brophey   | GO, GO, GO YOU RED, RED, RED!!!!!!! |  than Crimson!