Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1992 12:40:36 EST
I have refrained from submitting my opinion in order to read some of the
to the CCHA and WCHA.  Obviously most ECAC teams shy away from match-ups
with the Western teams, and the ECAC is the only game in town.

Anyway, the most exciting player I have witnessed is, as several have already
suggested, Adam Oates, RPI.  It is difficult ascribing what "exciting" entails,
but skill has to be a factor, and frankly Adam Oates was probably the best
set-up guy in college hockey ever, and as his NHL career has shown, maybe one
of the best in all of hockey(look at Brett Hull's goal total so far this year.)
John Carter was an exciting (and tempermental) guy, a good finisher.  But the
feeds he received from Oates were often merely tap-ins.  Oates always seemed
to play the same--steady, unemotional and very consistent, which makes the
"exciting" label difficult to apply.  Despite shadowing by the opposition,
Oates always seemed able to get a rush going and initiate a scoring play.
His consistency alone separates him from players like Joe Juneau, who
experienced several slumps during his career.  Incidentally Joe must enjoy
being freed from the opponent's checking line, now that Oates seems to be
hitting his stride with the Bruins.

The most exciting game I can recall would be RPI's double overtime win over
Minnesota-Duluth at the 1985 semis.  Remember George Servinis's short-handed
goal?  Or the progression of 4-on-4's and 3-on-3's in the OT?  I could only
listen on the radio, and I was still on the edge of my seat.
                    _
                   //
      "NYS Hockey"//   Brian Morris
        Go 'Gate //  Albany, N.Y.