Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 90 11:09:46 EST
In game one of the Great Western Freeze-Out, the number 1 ranked Minnesota
Golden Gophers went up against the number 5 ranked Boston College Eagles.
The Eagles prevailed despite a vicious onslaught in the third period by
Minnesota for a 3-2 victory.

Minnesota opened the scoring at 3:43 of the first.  Hankinson scored his 10th
goal of the year.  I don't have the assists on that goal.  Check that, it
was number 22 (Sorry, I don't know the name).  He picked up his own rebound
in front of Scott Lagrand and banged it home through the pads for the lead.

BC tied the game at one at the 15:43 mark.  Dave Emma picked up a misdirected
shot right in front of the net.  Emma did a turn around move and slapped the
puck of the Minnesota goalie Stolp's shoulder for the tie.

In the second, BC drew first blood.  Steve Heinze, brother of former Merrimack
star Andy Heinze, scored his 13th of the year at 8:42.  Heinze came in one on
one, cut toward the middle, faked going wide, and fired a beautiful wrist shot
past Stolp.  Stolp appeared not to be expecting the shot.  That made it 2-1.

Minnesota tied it on what has to be the prettiest passing play I've ever seen
Minnesota was on the power play.  Their right defenseman passed it to the left
winger, the left winger passed it back to the left defenseman, who gave it to
the right defenseman who gave it back to the left winger who gave it to
Bischoff who banged a 30 foot shot home for the 2-2 tie.  It came at 9:03.

But at 12:36 of the second, the game winner was scored.  Steve Heinze scored
his 14th on a pretty passing play.  I only have one assist on this goal, that
was Dave Emma who put the puck out in front to him.  It was a power play goal