From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1992 14:15:00 CDT
   Carol, Paula, and I went out to see "The Mighty Ducks" last weekend.  It
is apparently a hockey-oriented adaptation of "The Bad News Bears."  Parts
of it were filmed in the Twin Cities, so we decided we had to see it.
   Though the movie deals with a fictitious peewee-level team, there are
some college hockey connections to watch for.  In the sporting goods store
there is a poster of Robb Stauber, Hobey Baker winner and former Gopher
goalie.  The nighttime scene with the ice sculptures takes place in Rice
Park, adjacent to the St Paul Civic Center, site of the WCHA playoffs and
the 1989, 1991, and 1994 NC$$ championships.  Another scene takes place at
Mickey's Dining Car in downtown St Paul, a familiar sight to hockey
tournament visitors.
   The movie was quite entertaining, as long as one doesn't worry too much
about plot structure and details.  :-)  It has sort of a skewed view of
youth hockey in Minnesota, giving the impression that there are only about
a dozen peewee teams in the state and that the state tournament is a really
big deal.  Still, as one local reviewer points out, it manages to make
winter in the Twin Cities look like fun (which it is!).
   Take the kids and see it, or see it without kids, or whatever.  How many
hockey movies do you get to see in a year, anyway?

-- Erik

Erik Biever
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]