Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1992 09:18:17 PDT
> I was wondering if anyone had a listing/memory of how Div III has fared
>against Div I in the past couple of years.  Any scores would be appreciated.
>I am most curious because Colgate is playing Plattsburgh St. this season,
>and I wonder what the outcome will be...

I'd say that over the past 5 years or so, division III teams play about .400
hockey against division I. Of course, this has a lot to do with the fact that
only the top division III teams do this, and they play a lot of games against
the independents who normally aren't the cream of the crop. For example, RIT
has played Notre Dame, Air Force, Kent State, and the Alaskas in recent years
with an occasional Clarkson or RPI thrown in. However, the division III team is
almost always playing on the road, so that helps the division I opponent.

I do know that both RIT and Elmira have beaten Clarkson in the past  (don't
remember the scores), but RIT got pounded by RPI last year 8-0.  I remember
THAT score very well :( The best showing that I remember for a divsion III
school was when RIT beat both Clarkson and Colgate to win the Syracuse
Invitational back in 1986. The RIT fans took a lot of grief at that tournament
from the divsion I fans ("what are you even doing here?") but we went home
happy.

Union used to play (and lose to) RPI every year and Potsdam used to do the same
with Clarkson due to the locations of the teams. Union of course now plays RPI
twice as a divsion I team, and I think that Clarkson stopped the annual
slaughter of Potsdam due to scheduling cutbacks.

I don't remember Plattsburgh playing any divsion I teams, but Colgate should
watch out - the Cardinals are the division III champs, and I understand that
they lost only a few players to graduation. Plattsburgh also has a reputation
for playing a physical game, so they should match up well. One of the main
differences that I have seen between division I and III  is the size of the
players. Both RIT and Elmira have had success recruiting players considered
 "too small " for division I.

Chris