From:
Schwing!! <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Schwing!! <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1992 15:29:17 -0400
From the Gazette Telegraph 15 Sep 92:

"CC's Buetow suspended for 60 days"

'Head coach diverted money to assistant'

	Colorado College suspended its head hockey coach, Brad Buetow, for 60
days without pay Monday for diverting school funds to his volunteer assitant
coach.  One source said the infraction was diverting $700 of meal money to the
assistant.  CC officials declined comment on that point and did not identify
the coach.  CC probably will send its final report to the NCAA today, athletic
director Max Taylor said.
	The prompt, stern action by CC in suspending Buetow, whose restrictions
run through the Tigers first 7 games, could help avoid further penalty,
although Taylor said the NCAA officials haven't indicated a response.  Buetow
is prohibited from ALL coaching activities including attending practices,
recruiting and contacting team members.
	"Innocently, I made a mistake in coming to the assistance of a
volunteer assistant coach.  I apologize to our team, the community and Colorado
College" said Buetow on Monday.  Buetow also said "CC's standards are even
higher than those of the NCAA.  I take full responsibility for my mistake."
	He previously agreed to help the Pittsburgh Penguins for 3 weeks
prepare for their NHL season.  CC practice officially begins 5 October.  "I have
full intention to be back Nov 14, ready to go."  His first games will be Nov
20-21 at U of Wisconsin.
	"Brad's absence will probably be felt most on the road, on the bench"
assistant coach Greg Cronin said.  "We'll just continue until he's back, it's
only 7 games" Cronin said.  "I hope people don't think we're panic sticken.
We're not"  Cronin said.

I will post updates as they come in.  On a personal note, I have met Coach
Buetow and you could not ask for a finer individual to have in a college
community.  He is well loved by all us hockey nuts here in Colorado Springs.

         Mike Hatz
   GTE Government Systems
 Colorado Springs, Colorado
       :Internet: