From:
Jon Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 1992 14:48:31 EDT
Bill writes:

> Although I could see the NC$$ doing something dumb like saying that host sites
> must be at least X seats large, I would hope that the 6000 figure is wrong. I
> can not believe that even the NC$$ would pass a rule that would prohibit an
> ENTIRE conference from hosting any playoff games.  As none of the ECAC rinks
> are over 5300 (Houston Field house at RPI, is around that big), and most are
 in
>  the 2000-3000 range.  I also believe that some of the HE rinks do not make
 the
>  6000 size.  And why would the NC$$ be concerned with arena sizes when they
> could not fill the regional buildings this year.  Someone showed last month
> that even if all the campus sites only sat 2500, more people would be there
> and more $ would be made over the regional sites.

I have been to most of the ECAC and HE rinks....the only one that I'm
sure would meet this requirement is Conte Forum at BC (8K).  Other
possibilities are Matthews Arena at Northeastern and the enlarged Alfond
Arena at Maine.  Some of the traditional powers (with approx. seating
capacity) which would be ineligible are:

BU (3.5K), Providence (3K), Clarkson (?? how big is Cheel anyway?),
SLU (3K), Cornell (4K), Harvard (3K)......

It seems highly unlikely that there is any validity to a rumor which
would permit such a small number of schools to host the event.

Jon Greene