Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1992 13:59:21 -0400
Would someone please respond to my e-mail address ([log in to unmask]) if
this post gets through to hockey-l. Use "Re" equal to "Yes it did"
for my deleting pleasure.

Mike Machnik writes:

>  Not to nitpick, because I think this is very important, but
(college hockey is) first and foremost for the players.

I agree, of course (who wouldn't). But I think it IS a concern that
those of us who have followed college hockey for a long time, and
have gotten to know coaches, athletic directors, etc..., should
not exercise the admittedly small amount of influence we have in
supporting policies that hurt the students (and players) in pursuit
of some senseless aggrandizement of the sport.

David Smith writes (if I may paraphrase):

1.  Boston has become a Hockey East town.
2.  The ECAC games are seen as secondary in importance by the casual
fans who attend HockeyFest.
3.  The ECAC needs its own dependable cable contract (the equivalent
of HE's excellent NESN coverage).
4.  The ECAC should move its tournament to where it would be more
appreciated and...
5.  ...more accessible to the students at more ECAC schools.

I couldn't agree more. I've lived in Boston for four years (seems
like a hundred), and ECAC interest is completely non-existent. The
community does not "get into" following Harvard to the degree that
they do BU, BC, or NU, and as for non-Boston-area schools - well,
shall we say that Boston's reputation for xenophobic parochialism is
something of an understatement.

Finally, someone mentioned that the whole "tradition" point will be
rendered moot if the Garden is torn down. Don't hold your breath on
this happening - it takes this city three times as long to change a
lightbulb as it does any other to put in a mass transit system.

Greg
Boston
Let's Go Mets! (Thank you, Cal Shrialdi and Bill Buckner!)
Hey, we kid because we care...