From:
R David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1992 22:44:09 EST

>   After I posted the Kennedy quote this morning,and was putting the article
> on my wall,something struck me.  Kennedy said that the committee's interests
> were with the group selling the tickets,rather than the TV coverage.  What I
> get from that statement is that the NC$$'s first priority was the sale of tic
ke
> ts,rather than the exposure college hockey would gain from being on TV.  Shou
ld
> n't the schools and "doing what's in the best interest" of college hockey be
th
> e NC$$ commitee's first priorities???  Could it really be that the NC$$ is ON
LY
>  interested in $$$$ ??

It has been my understanding that local and even regional blackouts for events
that are not sold out are very common for all sports.  There is some kind of
agreement between the NCAA and local organizers and schools that if the event
does not sell out, regardless of sport, there will be no TV coverage in the
area.  This was particularly frustrating for us Syracuse basketball fans who
could not see home games in the area because the Carrier Dome's capacity is
so large, it only sold out half the time.

--
Dave [log in to unmask]
Cornell '91 OSU Med '95