Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1992 21:37:54 EST

> Here's how to get to the Providence Civic Center:
>
>   Take exit 21 off of I-95.
>
> That's it. :-)  They say it's right off the exit.  I've never gone further
> south than exit 23, the Providence College exit.  But the woman at the PCC
> said it's visible from the highway and is right near the Holiday Inn, off
> the exit.

The Civic Center sits right next to the highway.  It is clearly visible
from the north, less so from the south because you are coming around a
curve (just after Rt. 195 exit downtown on 95N).
There are a number of relatively small parking lots around the
Civic Center.  I've never been there when it was full so I don't know if
they have adequate parking.>

> Civic Center number is 401-331-6700 for further questions.
>
> Travel suggestions:
>   Bypass Boston if you can, especially if you are travelling during rush hour.
>   If you're coming from northern New England (NH/Maine!), I'd say your best
>   bets are 1) 95 S all the way, or 2) 495 S around to where you pick up 95 S
>   again south of Boston, especially during rush hour.

This adds a lot of distance, but Mike's right....avoid Boston during
rush hour.

>   From the west (SLU!), I guess you want to head towards Boston in whatever
>   way you usually do but then pick up either 495 S or 95/128 S.  Don't head
>   to Boston and then south to Providence unless you have a few extra hours
>   to kill.

From the west, get off at Mass Pike exit 10 and take Rt. 146 straight
into Providence.  This is a little tricky but cuts out about 20
miles.  After leaving the toll booths, follow signs for Rt. 20E.  It is
not well marked...you actually get on Rt. 395S and then exit immediately
(don't even pull into a travel lane).  Take Rt. 20E for about 5 miles to
Rt. 146S.  Rt. 146 runs straight into downtown Providence and merges
with Rt. 95S about 1/2 mile above the Civic Center. [For those taking
this route, "Go Saints" from a fellow defender of the ECAC faith].

Jon Greene

P.S. I can't wait for the games to begin...at least they'll end the
interminable seeding debate (I hope).