From:
"Craig A. McGowan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Craig A. McGowan
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 1992 21:48:26 EST
Here's a summary of what I have found out about the number of
interconference games.

HE has far more diversity of schedule than any other conference, while the
western teams have, on average, only about 2 non-conference opponents.  The
ECAC is in the middle (Ivies pull down the average).  One WCHA team (St.
Cloud) did not play any Division I games outsite it's conference.  While BC
played ten different non-conference opponents.

While I know that the 4 game, home-home series used in the west puts a
severe limit on the number of NCO a western team can have, can anyone
explain why some western teams have 0 or 1 NCO?  Is is budget or travel
problems?

        Conf          Ave Num of
                  Non-Conference Opp
        ----      ------------------
        HE               8.0
        ECAC             3.9
        CCHA             2.3
        WCHA             2.2

        Top Five Teams In Number of Non-Conf Opponents (all HE)

		BC                  10
        Merrimack            9
        New Hampshire        9
        Prov                 9
        BU                   8

		Top of Division In Non-Conf Opponents

		BC (HE)             10
		Clarkson (ECAC)      6
        Michigan (CCHA)      4
        Mich St. (CCHA)      4
        Minnesota (WCHA)     4

		Fewest Non-conference Opponents

        St. Cloud (WCHA)     0
        Minnesota-Dul (WCHA) 1
        Ill. Chicago (CCHA)  1
        Lake Superior (CCHA) 1
        Western Mich. (CCHA) 1

		Other Low Non-conference Opponents by conference

        Princeton (ECAC)     2
        Union (ECAC)         2
        Maine (HE)           6