From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 1992 13:18:11 EST
Although the few number of east-west games creates a level of uncertainty
regarding TCHCR's comparison across the two regions, I think TCHCR does a pretty
good job of ranking teams within the regions.

First, let's get the top 6 in the east and the west and add in the top
independent. Then we have to decide who to bump out of the 12 to make room
for the independent (SLU and Maine can't be bumped, of course).

(Based on 3/15 TCHCR.)

West                      East
1. Michigan               1. Maine
2. Minnesota              2. Boston University
3. Lake Superior          3. New Hampshire
4. Michigan State         4. St. Lawrence
5. Northern Michigan      5. Providence
6. Wisconsin              6. Clarkson

Independent: Alaska-Anchorage

Now, who to bump? Of the 12, Clarkson has the lowest rating, 56.29. Wisconsin's
is 70.06 and the difference of 13.77 seems much larger than the margin of error
could be. So, we bump CU and put UAA in its place. UAA actually RATES higher
than most of the other eastern seeds, but traditionally, when a team "crosses
over" to the other region, it is seeded 6th by default. Also, UAA ranks lower
than Wisconsin and is geographically in The West, so it makes sense they should
cross over from #7W to #6E.

But, we know that the selection committee has this other (unwritten?) rule that
each conference gets 2 teams. Applying this rule means CU can't be bumped.
get the "honor" of having the most legitimate beef for being left out.

Therefore, using TCHCR and applying the rules of the committee, we get:

West                      East
1. Michigan               1. Maine
2. Minnesota              2. Boston University
3. Lake Superior          3. New Hampshire
4. Michigan State         4. St. Lawrence
5. Northern Michigan      5. Clarkson
6. Wisconsin              6. Alaska-Anchorage

There could still be some shuffling in the west, of course, especially since
the 3 CCHA and 3 WCHA teams will be battling it out amongst themselves this
weekend. If MSU loses to LSSU and either NMU or UW win their title, MSU
might drop to the #5 seed, for example. Throw everything out the window if
Miami or Colorado College win their tourneys, too.

The eastern seeds are not "politically correct" so I do not expect the
committee to go along with TCHCR there. Look for SLU to break up that Hockey
East block of three.

Overall, though, I think these seeds are reasonable. But who knows??

Keith
PS And remember, to my knowledge, the committee will not be even glancing
at TCHCR when doing their thing.