From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Mar 1992 14:37:32 EST
I forgot to mention this in my HE championship recap but I think it deserves
to be mentioned.

When time ran out, Maine of course began their celebration at their end of the
ice, and UNH moved to their end in front of their bench to watch (I know how
painful that is) and await the awards ceremony.  But after a few seconds,
captain Scott Pellerin broke free and skated to center ice, where he turned and
waved his teammates to follow him.  Then he turned back and gestured to the
surprised UNH players to come to center ice as well.  Pellerin broke his team's
celebration to make sure the traditional handshake took place, and both teams
got a huge cheer for this great display of sportsmanship.  It was nice that
even in their moment of celebration, Pellerin wanted his fellow players to
acknowledge the great effort put forth by a class opponent.  A good way to close
this year's Hockey East Tournament and indeed, Hockeyfest '92.
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   mikem@{beanpot,bubba}.ma30.bull.com