From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 1992 11:20:59 EST
Mark writes:
>game's turning point occurred.  A Plattsburgh player (sorry, I
>didn't get the names) on a breakaway was intentionally hauled
>down by the Mercyhurst defenseman to save a goal.  The Cardinals
>were awarded a penalty shot from this, which they converted to go
>ahead 3-2.  In addition, the Mercyhurst defensemen got 5 minutes
>in the penalty box, presumably for intentional hooking.  During
>that time, Plattsburgh managed 2 power play goals to put the game
>out of reach.  My question is, didn't Mercyhurst get penalized
>twice in this situation, i.e., by the Plattsburgh penalty shot
>and the subsequent power play?  That's how I saw it, anyway.

If the referee determines that the penalty committed was serious enough
to warrant a major penalty - but the conditions for a penalty shot are met -
then he must both award the shot and hand out the major regardless of
whether or not a goal is scored on the shot.  If just a minor is called,
then accepting the shot means the minor is not assessed.

>"victory lap" became more and more of a struggle.  Oh, and by the
>way, everyone that I spoke to (mostly locals and Elmira College
>fans) thought that the game should have been played in
>Plattsburgh, not in Elmira.  For what its worth.

Everyone I talked to in this area feels the same way.  A thought that crossed
my mind, was why does this occur in the ECAC III but not in the ECAC I?

- mike