From:
John Hughes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 1992 13:40:36 PST
Mike writes:
>Yes, these two states are tied.  Massachusetts has six.  One could also point
>out that the programs in NY and MI are widely spread out, but within a
>one-hour drive of Boston, there are 9 DivI teams (Low, Merr, BC, BU, NU, Har,
>Prov, Brown, UNH).  This is the most densely-populated area in the nation as
>far as DivI hockey teams go.  I suspect that this area is also the most
>densely-populated college hockey area with literally dozens of DivIII teams.

There are many DivIII programs in NYS, also.  I agree that the greater
Boston area has the highest density of hockey programs, but I think
that the NYS teams should be recognized for the success that they have
given their small size.  Most (all, but Cornell?) of these schools are
in that group that competes in DivI, but doesn't receive any of the
profits of the NC$$ tournament because they don't field any other DivI
sports.  Of course, they are an order of magnitude smaller in student
population than some of the HE, CCHA and WCHA schools.

As far as Hockeyfest, I expect to be able to hear those bands all the
way out here in CA. :-)

The ECAC results should be very interesting given that Harvard is now
out, and everyone knows that the selection committee historically
seldom favors the NYS teams (except Cornell, again).  It wouldn't
surprise me to see Harvard go to the NC$$s even though they are not
clearly superior to any of the four teams in the ECAC finals (using
RPICH and the home loss to RPI as measures).

John Hughes